At least 25 people were killed and dozens more injured after two high-speed passenger trains collided on Sunday evening in southern Spain, triggering a large-scale emergency response and shocking the nation.

The deadly accident occurred near the city of Cordoba around 7:45 pm local time when a train traveling from Malaga to Madrid derailed and crossed onto the opposite track, crashing into an oncoming train heading from Madrid to Huelva. Spanish rail infrastructure operator Adif confirmed that the Malaga–Madrid train was carrying around 300 passengers, while the second train had approximately 200 people onboard.
Spain’s Transport Minister Oscar Puente confirmed after midnight that 25 deaths had been officially recorded, adding that rescue teams had removed all survivors from the wreckage. He cautioned, however, that the final number of victims could still change as identification procedures continue.
According to officials, the rear portion of the Malaga–Madrid train unexpectedly left the tracks on a flat stretch of railway that had undergone renovation just months earlier. Moments later, the derailed carriages slammed into the front of the Renfe-operated train, causing its first two carriages to derail and tumble down a four-metre embankment. Authorities said the front section of the Renfe train sustained the most severe damage.
Emergency services worked through the night under challenging conditions, as the crash site was located in a hard-to-reach area. Firefighters, paramedics, civil protection teams, and Spain’s military emergency units were deployed to rescue passengers trapped inside mangled carriages. The Red Cross also provided medical and psychological support at the scene.
Andalusia’s regional health chief Antonio Sanz said that 73 injured passengers were taken to six hospitals across the region. Several victims were reported to be in serious condition, while others were treated for minor injuries.
Passengers described terrifying moments during the crash. Salvador Jimenez, a journalist with Spanish broadcaster RTVE who was onboard one of the trains, said the impact felt like an earthquake. He told the network that passengers used emergency hammers to break windows and escape, while others crawled out of tilted carriages in darkness. Videos circulating from the scene showed survivors helping one another climb out of wrecked compartments.
Transport Minister Puente said the cause of the accident remains unknown and described the incident as highly unusual. He noted that the derailed train, operated by private rail company Iryo, was less than four years old. Authorities have launched a full investigation, which could take up to a month to determine what led to the crash.
Iryo said in a statement that it deeply regretted the incident and was cooperating fully with investigators. Spain’s state-owned rail operator Renfe also expressed condolences to the victims’ families and pledged support for those affected.
As a precaution, Adif suspended all train services between Madrid and cities in Andalusia on Monday. Local residents arrived at the crash site with blankets and water to assist survivors before rescue teams completed evacuations.
European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said she was following the “terrible news” from Cordoba and expressed solidarity with Spain, writing on social media that the victims and their families were in her thoughts.
Spain operates one of Europe’s largest and most heavily used high-speed rail networks, widely considered safe and reliable. Sunday’s tragedy has raised renewed scrutiny over rail safety measures, even as officials stressed that accidents of this scale remain extremely rare.
