Former Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel’s son, Chaitanya Baghel, was released from Raipur Central Jail on Saturday, a day after the Chhattisgarh High Court granted him bail in two cases linked to the alleged liquor scam. The High Court in Bilaspur approved his bail petitions in cases filed by the Enforcement Directorate and the state’s Anti-Corruption Bureau and Economic Offences Wing, clearing the way for his release after months in custody.

A large crowd of Congress workers gathered outside the jail to welcome him. Supporters waved party flags, raised slogans, and beat drums as Bhupesh Baghel arrived to receive his son. The emotional moment saw Chaitanya touch his father’s feet before embracing him. He later stood through the sunroof of an SUV, waving to supporters while holding a Congress flag as the convoy moved away from the prison gates.
The timing of his release carried personal significance for the family. Bhupesh Baghel recalled that Chaitanya was arrested by the Enforcement Directorate on July 18, 2025, which happened to be his birthday. His release now, he noted, has come on the birthday of Chaitanya’s young son, turning a painful chapter into a moment of relief for the family.
Speaking briefly after his release, Chaitanya Baghel said he was grateful for the court’s decision. He said justice had come after delay and added that he had full faith in the Constitution. He declined to comment on the details of the case, saying the matter is still under judicial consideration.
Bhupesh Baghel described the bail order as a victory against what he called politically driven actions. He said Congress workers from across Chhattisgarh had come to Raipur to express their solidarity, reflecting the widespread belief within the party that the case was motivated by government pressure rather than facts.
In its order, the High Court observed that Chaitanya Baghel’s alleged role in the case appeared to be significantly less than that of several other accused who have already been granted bail. The court noted that key figures named in the alleged scam, including Anwar Dhebar, Anil Tuteja, Arvind Singh, Arunpati Tripathi and Trilok Singh Dhillon, had earlier been released by the Supreme Court.
The judges also pointed out that the Enforcement Directorate had not produced any direct financial or documentary evidence linking Chaitanya to the proceeds of crime. There were no bank accounts, property records, or official financial instruments in his name to show his direct involvement. Much of the prosecution’s case, the court said, relied on statements rather than tangible proof.
ALSO READ: India’s Medical Insurance Trap: How Patients Are Caught Between Hospitals and Insurers
The alleged liquor scam is said to have taken place between 2019 and 2022, during the tenure of the Congress government led by Bhupesh Baghel. Investigating agencies have claimed that the operation caused massive losses to the state exchequer. According to the Enforcement Directorate, Chaitanya Baghel was at the centre of the syndicate and handled close to ₹1,000 crore of illegal proceeds, while the ACB and EOW have accused him of receiving between ₹200 crore and ₹250 crore.
Chaitanya was first arrested by the ED in July 2025 and was later taken into custody by the ACB and EOW in September the same year. His release now marks a major development in one of Chhattisgarh’s most closely watched political and legal battles, even as the investigations and court proceedings continue.
