‘Attack on Tamil Culture’: Rahul Gandhi Slams Centre Over Delay in Vijay’s Film ‘Jana Nayagan’

Congress leader Rahul Gandhi has sharply criticised the Central government over the delay in granting a censor certificate to Tamil superstar Vijay’s much-anticipated film Jana Nayagan, calling it an “attack on Tamil culture.” His remarks come as the legal battle over the movie’s clearance intensifies, with the matter now reaching the Supreme Court.

‘Attack on Tamil Culture’: Rahul Gandhi Slams Centre Over Delay in Vijay’s Film ‘Jana Nayagan’

The film, which is widely viewed as Vijay’s political statement ahead of his full-time entry into public life, was scheduled for release during the Pongal festival. However, its fate remains uncertain after the Central Board of Film Certification failed to issue timely approval, triggering a series of court interventions.

Taking to social media, Rahul Gandhi accused the Information and Broadcasting Ministry of attempting to block the film. He said such actions amount to suppressing the voice of the Tamil people and asserted that Prime Minister Narendra Modi would never succeed in silencing Tamil culture. His statement has brought national political attention to what was initially a legal dispute over film certification.

Jana Nayagan holds special importance because it is expected to be Vijay’s final film before he formally launches his political career. The actor recently announced his political party, Tamilaga Vettri Kazhagam (TVK), and the film is believed to carry strong political themes, which has further intensified public interest and scrutiny.

On January 9, a single judge of the Madras High Court had directed the CBFC to immediately issue a censor certificate for the movie. However, within hours, a Division Bench stayed that order after an appeal by the CBFC, leaving the release in limbo. The Bench noted that the film board had not been given enough time to file its reply and has scheduled further hearing for January 21.

The producers of the film, KVN Productions LLP, have now approached the Supreme Court, challenging the High Court’s interim stay. They argue that the CBFC had already decided to certify the film and that sending it to a revising committee was legally unjustified. According to the production house, the delay has caused financial losses and disrupted the film’s scheduled release.

The CBFC, however, has defended its decision, stating that referring the movie to a revising committee was within its legal authority. Senior law officers, including Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, told the High Court that proper procedure was followed and that the January 6 letter informing the producers about the review was never formally challenged.

The controversy has now grown beyond cinema into a wider political and cultural debate. In Tamil Nadu, the issue has resonated strongly, given Vijay’s popularity and his growing influence in state politics. Many see the delay as more than a bureaucratic hurdle, while others view it as a test of creative freedom and institutional independence.

With both the Madras High Court and the Supreme Court set to examine the matter, the coming days will be crucial for the future of Jana Nayagan. The outcome will not only decide when Vijay’s film reaches audiences but could also shape the broader conversation around censorship, politics, and artistic expression in India.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top