In a landmark ruling that marks a dramatic fall from power, a South Korean court on Friday sentenced former President Yoon Suk Yeol to five years in prison for obstructing justice and related offenses connected to his short-lived declaration of martial law in December 2024.

The verdict is the first in a series of legal judgments facing the disgraced former leader, whose decision to briefly suspend civilian rule plunged South Korea into one of its most serious political crises in decades.
Court Finds Yoon Guilty of Obstructing Justice
Judge Baek Dae-hyun of Seoul’s Central District Court ruled that Yoon deliberately blocked investigators from carrying out their lawful duties, including attempts to detain him during the post-martial law investigation.
“Despite having a duty above all others to uphold the Constitution and the rule of law, the defendant displayed an attitude that fundamentally disregarded constitutional principles,” the judge said while delivering the sentence.
The court described Yoon’s actions as extremely grave, stressing that his conduct undermined democratic norms at a time when national stability was already under strain.
Charges Linked to Martial Law Planning
Exclusion of Cabinet Members
The court also found Yoon guilty of excluding key cabinet members from critical discussions related to the martial law declaration, a move prosecutors argued was designed to bypass institutional safeguards.
However, the judge acquitted Yoon of forging official documents, citing insufficient evidence to support that charge.
Yoon has seven days to file an appeal, according to court officials.
Prosecutors Had Sought a Harsher Sentence
Prosecutors had earlier demanded a 10-year prison term, arguing that Yoon abused presidential authority and actively interfered with the justice system. They maintained that his actions posed a direct threat to South Korea’s constitutional order.
Yoon, a former chief prosecutor himself, has consistently denied wrongdoing, insisting that all actions taken during the crisis were lawful.
Defiant Stance from the Former Leader
Claims of Constitutional Authority
Even after the verdict, Yoon remained defiant. In earlier court statements, he argued that his declaration of martial law was a legitimate use of presidential emergency powers.
“The exercise of constitutional emergency authority to protect the nation cannot be considered an act of insurrection,” Yoon said in closing arguments earlier this week.
He accused the then-opposition-controlled legislature of creating what he described as an “unconstitutional dictatorship,” claiming his decision was meant to alert citizens to the political deadlock.
More Trials Ahead, Including Insurrection Charges
Death Penalty Sought in Separate Case
The five-year sentence does not mark the end of Yoon’s legal troubles. In a separate case, prosecutors have sought the death penalty, labeling him the “ringleader of an insurrection” for orchestrating the imposition of martial law.
South Korea, however, has maintained an unofficial moratorium on executions since 1997, making actual enforcement unlikely even if the court upholds such a sentence.
The court is scheduled to deliver a ruling on the insurrection charges on February 19.
Additional Allegations Involving North Korea
Yoon is also facing a separate trial on charges of aiding the enemy, following allegations that he ordered drone flights over North Korea to strengthen his justification for declaring martial law.
If proven, the charges could further deepen the legal consequences for the former president.
A Historic Fall from Power
Once seen as a tough reformer and law-and-order leader, Yoon Suk Yeol’s presidency ended in turmoil. His brief suspension of civilian governance sparked mass protests, parliamentary resistance, and ultimately his removal from office.
Friday’s verdict represents a historic moment in South Korea’s democratic journey, underscoring the judiciary’s willingness to hold even the nation’s most powerful figures accountable.
